Principal Software Developer Lead @ Microsoft/Research/AI & R
2017 to Present
- Leading a team of research developers to advance the field of Machine Teaching.
Principal Software Developer @ Microsoft/Visual Studio Team Services
2015 to 2017
Stack Overflow at Microsoft
- Led the application of Stack Overflow Enterprise across Microsoft.
- Featured in MSW as a key technology for all engineers at Microsoft.
- Adopted cross-company by 30K+ engineers and as a primary Q&A channel for teams including Cosmos, 1ES, Azure, Skype, Office, Bing, and WDG.
- Independently built solutions for high-fidelity email notifications, AAD security, and cross-system data migration to SQL Azure.
- Key contributor shipping v1 of the Analytics system in the VSTS product.
- Architected and implemented high performance staging jobs, transformations, aggregate models, and query endpoints.
- Implemented the OASIS OData v4 aggregation standard for Microsoft’s open source implementation.
- Partnered across VSTS with data UI owners to ensure high quality analytics data and presentation.
Principal Software Development Lead @ Microsoft/SQL
2012 to 2015
- Technical lead and key developer for data visualizations and services in rhythm of business for SQL.
- Embedded with the Power BI team to deliver a new composite visualization chart for customers.
- Independently developed a novel NRT monitoring system allowing for creation of new monitors in minutes using layered configuration.
SQL Engineering System
- Engineering lead of the combined engineering workflow and SQL build teams.
- Led development of the parallel, speculative gated check-in system on TFS.
- Architected, implemented, and led team in the creation of a new Visual Studio extension that enabled SQL-wide adoption of TFS integrated with Team Explorer and CodeFlow.
- Developed at-a-glance monitoring of availability, reliability, and performance of the ES system for leadership.
- Led SQL TechFest for entire SQL organization which included judging 300+ submissions, coordinating the event logistics, and finalists tour with CEO.
Principal Software Developer @ Southworks
2010 to 1012
- Developed WPF, Silverlight, and web guidance for Microsoft’s Patterns & Practices. Co-authored Developer’s Guide to Microsoft Prism 4 (Microsoft Press) and Project Silk: Client-Side Web Development for Modern Browsers (Microsoft Press).
- Key contributor to video and audio track editing for Microsoft’s Silverlight Rough Cut Editor.
- Developed audio algorithms in real-time streaming voice-over tool for the 2012 Olympics.
- Developed UI for a high-scale content installation system built on Windows Azure.
- Helped the Windows Azure Media Services team update and open source their API.
Senior Software Development Lead @ Microsoft/MSDN
2007 to 2010
MSDN Web Site
- Engineering lead of MSN web team.
- Led the complete rewrite the MSDN/TechNet web site to leverage ASP.NET MVC 1.0.
- Delivered a new branded web experience sim-shipping with Visual Studio 2010.
- Delivered a new low bandwidth web experience leveraging edge-caching and last-mile optimization for worldwide customers.
- First adopter of Scrum/TDD process to achieve 99.8% code coverage from day 1, zero downtime deployment, and no critical issues during 2010 release.
- Led the entire organization in the migration from Core XT, Source Depot, and Product Studio to Team Foundation Server.
- Delivered user authentication, authorization, and profile management system to integrate with Passport and store data in a geo-distributed ADFS system.
Senior Software Development Lead @ Microsoft.com
2003 to 2007
- Development lead through several key releases of MS-Individual.
- Architected, developed, and lead team through and a major redesign distilling hundreds of disparate web methods into a single, consistent, object-oriented API.
- Awarded gold star for leadership in customer privacy and data management.
- Key developer for v1 through v3 versions of the Microsoft.com content management system hosting all TechNet content at that time.
- Integrated solutions with NCompass CMS (acquired by Microsoft) and SharePoint.
Program Manager @ Microsoft/MSN Messenger
2001 to 2003
- Delivered new online presence and Passport/Kerberos authentication features for MSN Messenger 5.0.
- Designed and coordinated physical data center migration of the entire service with zero downtime.
- Architected and managed shipping a new high-scale, dynamic repartitioning system for the presence and buddy-list servers.
Software Developer @ Jetstream
1996 to 2001
- Designed and implemented the central job scheduler and multi-media/home automation hardware controllers in owner’s personal residences worldwide for Vulcan Northwest.
- Developed multiple setup and configuration tools for coordinating BackOffice components.
- Developed high performance load simulator of Outlook against Exchange Server.
- Led small team in various projects for Microsoft Visual Studio, Microsoft Windows NT, GoAhead, and Rational Software; including design and development of solution acceleration libraries.
B.S. Computer Science – University of Washington
1991 to 1995
- Developed dynamic audio conversion/compression routines scaled against feed of available operating system resources.
- Focus courses included: Advanced Graphics, Operating Systems, Compilers, and Advanced Data Structures & Algorithms.
- ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET Web API
- React JS, Angular JS, jQuery, Typescript, D3
- SQL, SQL Azure, OData
- C++/C, COM, DCOM
- Kanban, Scrum, Agile
- Test Driven Development (TDD), Unit Testing methodologies
- Architecture, Enterprise Design Patterns, Presentation Patterns (MVC, MVVM, MVP)
- Open Source (GitHub)
- Web & Open Source - http://bellacode.github.io
- Linked In - http://www.linkedin.com/in/geoffcoxlive/
- Stack Overflow - https://stackoverflow.com/users/30505/geoff-cox
- Twitter - https://twitter.com/geoffcoxlive